These 8 easy steps can save you up to 250 calories.
- Leave out the “crispy” in salads. Salads aren’t always the best choice at restaurants especially when they come fried and drowned in fattening dressing. When getting a salad ask for grilled chicken, shrimp or salmon and opt for a lowfat dressing on the side. You will save about 250 calories.
- Cut your baked goods in half. Automatically cut the calories by cutting fresh baked goods like muffins in half. You can also swap a half cup of applesauce for a half cup of butter or oil in your recipes to save you an additional 75 calories per muffin.
- Get Sandwich Savy. A Tuna sandwich may seem like the healthier option but it can contain 700 calories and over 30 grams of fat. Instead of going for something loaded with mayonnaise, choose a small turkey sub with no mayo or oil and skip the soda, chips and cookies. You can save yourself 420 calories.
- Topping your Tater. The toppings on a baked potato can add up to 412 calories to your meal. Instead of the standard butter, sour cream, and bacon try using salsa, and lowfat greek yogurt for a healthier alternative.
- Become a Kid Again. When ordering ice cream or yogurt opt for the kid size. This can save you up to 400 calories compared to a regular adult size portion.
- Veggies, Veggies, and more Veggies. Most of us tend to eat our pasta lathered in meat, spaghetti sauce, or alfredo sauce adding more than 600 calories to our day. Instead try filling your pasta with steamed veggies or diced tomatoes to cut your calories by 250.
- Satisfy your Sweet Tooth. If you can’t resist something sweet go for it, just make sure you are only having a shot glass worth which amounts to about 3 tablespoons. This could save you 360 calories.
- Choose Wisely at Breakfast Meetings. Instead of grabbing a donut or muffin try going for fruit salad or lowfat yogurt and save 280 calories.
Follow these five simple steps to cut your calories by 100 or more.
- Add the Olive Oil last: When you think of sautéing as a healthy alternative you may not consider some vegetables such as eggplant, mushrooms, and greens soak up the majority of the fat that you have added to the pan. If you steam your vegetables instead and then simply toss them in a few teaspoons of extra-virgin olive oil, add a squeeze of lemon, and a pinch of red pepper flakes and sea salt, you can cut out 150 calories per cup.
- Ask for a Dry Bun: Most restaurants use butter or mayo on a sandwich or burger before they give it to you. Instead, ask for your sandwich or burger to be served on a dry bun. This will save you close to 120 calories.
- Be Picky about Pie: If you eat pie just eat the filling but skip the bottom layer of crust, that act alone will save you 150 calories.
- Lighten your Juice: Fill a water bottle with just 6 ounces of juice and the rest with sparkling water. This will help save you 100 calories as opposed to drinking nothing but juice.
- Make Skinny Mashed Potatoes: Instead of the heavy whipped potatoes try mixing in half a cup of low-sodium chicken broth for every 3 pounds of potatoes to make this a lighter version saving you 100 calories.
To learn more ways to cut calories click here to get your free consultation where you will meet with a food coach who will give you even more tips on how to lose weight.